BAGS - DEFINITIONS
Clearly define all terms to maintain clarity and avoid loopholes, and keep them consistent throughout the policy and accompanying documents. Key terms to define in policy, may include:
- Single-use (lightweight)
- Define all polyethylene bags as single-use regardless of thickness, since typically even thicker polyethylene bags are treated as disposable.
- Re-usable (thicker)
- Reusable bags or containers that are allowed should include only thicker polypropylene plastic bags; bags made from cotton, jute or other local materials; and boxes.
- Austin study determined that 4 ml is the minimum thickness for allowable reusables to be effective.
- Polyethylene, polypropylene
- Compostable, Bio-degradable, Oxo-degradables – Include country specific standards
- Non-petroleum derived bio-plastic bags
- Recycled paper bags – Include a 40% (minimum) post consumer recycled content requirement for paper and plastic bags
- Produce bags