MICROPLASTICS - KNOWLEDGE GAPS
There are a number of knowledge and research gaps within the field of microplastics. Further research is needed on the below topics, which will better inform future policy making.
- Short & long term individual, population and community level health effects due to microplastic and associated toxin exposure (inhalation+ingestion).
- What levels are ‘safe’ for drinking water, food, etc?
- What are effective techniques for capturing microplastic from indoor and outdoor air?
- How can microplastics be effectively removed from sewage sludge? In situ removal or before it reaches WWT?
- What are the various mechanisms for retrofitting waste water treatment (WWT) plant facilities for collecting microplastics?
- What is the best mechanism to prevent clothing and textile microplastics from entering the environment?
- Are clothing dryers a significant source of microfiber pollution? If so, how is this best prevented?
Priority Brief: Microfibers Outdoor Industry Association
Why Care about Microplastics in the Anthropocene?
Microplastics in the aquatic environment: Evidence for or against adverse impacts and major knowledge gaps
A critical perspective on early communications concerning human health aspects of microplastics